Alex Easton MLA has today warned dog owners to watch out for poisonous Parsnips washed up on Millisle beach.

Speaking today Alex Easton MLA said:

This is not something we would encounter everyday but it is always worthwhile keeping an eye open when walking your dog in and around our beaches. Wild Parsnip is a plant with Furanocoumarin with in it. When skin comes in contact with the sap form the wild parsnip, the furanocoumarin makes it extra sensitive to UV light. If your skin is then exposed to sunlight an inflammatory reaction takes place. This results in painful burning. Blistering rash to the skin and you would need to see a pharmacist. If you dog comes in contact with this and injects it then it can be fatal to your dog, and I would take my dog to a vet straight away. If you find Wild Parsnips on the beach it is best that you contact the Council and have them removed.”

Ends:

You missed