Independent Unionist Alex Easton MLA has today called for the setting up of a designated task force for Ards & North Down that will deal with tackling and apprehending those who spray graffiti after the latest graffiti incident just outside Millisle at Drumfad.
Speaking today Alex Easton MLA said:
“It is really annoying to see such graffiti going up in such a beautiful area, graffiti which is childish and is just complete and utter nonsense, the cost to remove that goes on the rate payers including those responsible. I believe it is time for a joint task force to be set up between the council, PSNI and Housing Executive that will look to tackle the level of graffiti that is ruining through our Towns and Villages across the Ards and North Down area. I believe that a joint task force needs to be set up with aims and goal of how to prevent, change attitudes and deal severely with those that are responsible for this sort of behaviour. The start should be the set up a small group to decide what action plans are I needed believe they should be the following.”
- The formation of an Agency task force.
- A plan of Action formulated.
- Prevention Measures put in place such as identify hot spots.
- Better Education on why it is not cool to do graffiti.
- Looking at tougher penalties for offenders.
- Including fines, fixing the areas graffiti, apology to property owners, naming and shaming, doing educational courses why not to graffiti.
“While these are just some of the basic ideas it would be up to the working group to establish the range of measures that are needed to combat this scourge in our society and I would be asking Ards and North Down council to take the lead in setting this up.”